18 Sep Linux Admin/Engineer
Job #2198: Chameleon Technologies is looking for a Linux Admin/Engineer who enjoys solving problems and building new things using a combination of creativity and technical rigor. This is for a contract role with remote work capability in San Francisco, CA. You don't have to know everything (that's why you're on a team), but we do expect good judgement and a desire to learn and mentor engineers with less experience.
- Work on a project-focused team of system engineers who also provide operational support to critical Linux systems.
- Help manage approximately 100 Linux-based systems (a mix of physical and virtual machines running on VMware).
- Collaborate closely with product engineering teams for updates/changes needed to the key applications managed by the SA team:
- Jenkins infrastructure
- Atlassian applications (Confluence, Stash, Jira)
- JFrog Artifactory
- Lead the effort to migrate the systems and applications to Google Cloud Platform using Terraform and Puppet for automation and management.
- Lead the deployment of new monitoring tools (Prometheus) and assist the other systems engineers with planning and executing improved monitoring and capacity planning.
- Mentor less experienced system engineers on the team.
- 5 years or more of Linux system administration experience (prefer CentOS/RedHat).
- 3 or more years of experience with VMware.
- Experience supporting highly available, critical internal services in a 100+ server environment.
- Experience moving Java-based applications running on Linux from on-premise hardware to a IaaS platform (Google Cloud Platform preferred).
- Demonstrated experience using Hashicorp Terraform to automate building and deploying infrastructure on an IaaS platform.
- Experience using GitLab or other CI/CD tools as part of the process to automate deployment of infrastructure solutions on an IaaS platform.
- Demonstrated experience using Puppet for systems configuration/management.
- Operational automation skills using shell, Perl, or Python.
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals.
- Experience with open source server software such as Apache and Tomcat.
- Customer-focused mindset.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to balance competing priorities.
Apply for this Now