Backend Developer - Chameleon Technologies
Job #2590: Chameleon Technologies is searching for a few Backend Developers for a position in Kirkland, WA. Our client is a global company in the pursuit of helping people, cities, and businesses use data and insights to understand the world around them, making mobility smarter, safer, and more efficient. Do you want to be at the heart of turning raw location-based data into insights and action? Our team is at the core of many of the products that we deliver. We’re looking for a backend engineer that can play a big role in both real-time and historical speed and mobility data calculation systems. One who relishes the challenges of computing data at scale, takes pride in building robust systems, and loves to learn and keep up with the latest cloud computing technology.
Our team uses AWS in both streaming systems handling billions of points a day and EMR Spark jobs for creating a number of different outputs used in a variety of products. We incorporate the latest learnings in machine learning, cloud computing, and transportation and spatial domain algorithms. We are looking for someone that is adept integrating different technologies into a harmonious whole. Someone that has exhibited technical leadership and the ability to collaborate across teams. Someone that can balance future needs with getting things done quickly and keeping up with dynamic demands of an evolving industry, quantity of data, and customer needs and expectations.
- Software Engineers with 4+ years of experience in production level software development, architecture and design.
- More than a team player, but a leader. We highly regard collaboration, but we also want to see leadership among our people. People that can see the big picture and make judgment calls and decisions for the company’s sake and with a customer lens and empathy. People that keep up with technology and love to make things better because that’s the right thing to do, not because they’re told. People that will lift all boats in the team, not just concern themselves.
- Solid coding skills. This is what you’re going to be doing the most so you better be good, damn good, at it. While we’re mostly working in Java we also have code in C# and Scala. Knowledge about query languages is a plus, such as T-SQL and Athena.
- Design Experience. We’re looking for people that do more than just code what’s given to them. We want people who can show they create thoughtful, efficient, and durable designs. We want systems that operate at large scale, run reliably and efficiently, and take a multitude of constraints into consideration.
- We’re a small company with a broad reach and have to think creatively to make things efficient, deal with the variabilities of the real world, and solve customer problems. Got ideas? We want to hear it.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about dealing with big data. Our systems calculate traffic speeds, people mobility, road volumes, signal analysis, and delivery in a multiple of forms such as automotive protocols, graphic tiles, REST APIs, and more. Knowledge with AWS services like Kinesis, RDS, Elasticache, S3, Athena, Lambda, EMR, Spark, ECS, ECR, Cloudfront, Elastic Beanstalk, Cloudwatch, and other AWS technologies will be a plus. As well as open source technology such as Kafka and Hadoop.
- Bachelor or advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, or related discipline.
- Work with an amazing team with a focus on being the best and making the world a better place.
- Help solve complex real-world problems with big data.
- Ranked as one of the top places to work in the Seattle area.
- Competitive Salary, benefits, and 401K matching.
- Open vacation policy, it’s unlimited and always has been.
- Plethora of snacks, drinks, lunches, and opportunities for folks to get to know other people in the company.
- A boat on Lake Washington. You get your license, and we’ll pay for the gas.
- The people and passion. Meet and work with people that are smart, helpful, and love what they’re doing and geek out on it. Have the opportunity to make a big impact to both the company and our customers.