Executive Director - Chameleon Technologies
Chameleon Technologies has been retained by Attain Housing to find a new Executive Director/CEO for their growing non-profit. Attain Housing has been helping homeless families build strength and get a new start through their transitional housing and support services since 1989! Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to be the driving force behind the growth and vision of this incredible non-profit.
Attain Housing is looking for a positive and forward thinking Executive Director (ED) with the drive and passion to continue to grow our grants and donor programs while also further educating our community. The new Executive Director will be a strong collaborator with a talent for team-building. They should have an unwavering passion for serving the cause of helping homeless families, along with valid working experience serving vulnerable/underserved populations. The ideal candidate will also possess strong leadership ability and clear direction for goal setting. They will be skilled at the high-level fundraising side of the organization and also very skilled at having compassionate/empathetic relationships with staff and client families.
If you are someone that is not stopped by barriers, but rather welcomes them as opportunities to climb higher, and rises to the challenge of managing an enthusiastic organization to financial and operational success…. Please read on!
Purpose and Scope
The Executive Director is in charge of an eight-person team at Attain Housing and is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations of the organization, exercising significant independent judgment and discretion in setting policies and procedures for the smooth operation of the organization.
The Executive Director will adhere to all Attain Housing policies with absolute integrity. The Executive Director is responsible for implementing the mission of Attain Housing under the direction of the Board of Directors.
Every leadership transition brings the opportunity to bring a fresh set of eyes to the organization’s work. The successful candidate will review and analyze the existing organization and make suggestions for changes, improvements and new directions.
Attain Housing is actively working towards acquiring additional properties and adding to their inventory of housing units. The ED will play an active role in supporting this program.
The position is based in East King County in downtown Kirkland, WA. Therefore, the ideal candidate will live or relocate to our community.
- The Executive Director will hold a bachelor's or master's degree in business, nonprofit management or appropriate field. In certain cases, work experience is an acceptable substitute for educational experience. Advanced certifications are desired, but not necessary.
- Minimum of 5 years of leadership experience.
- The Executive Director will have significant experience, strong skills and increasing responsibilities in the areas of Management and Administration, Fiscal Administration, Fundraising, Personnel, Board Relations and Public Relations.
- The Executive Director must exhibit strong leadership skills and act in a manner that always reflects positively on the organization.
- The Executive Director must be able to guide all areas of the organization and be able to make sound and rational decisions that conform to the organization's mission.
- The Executive Director will be a self-starter who is a goal-oriented and self-confident professional with strong drive and initiative.
- The Executive Director understands the importance of working with and on a team; who handles interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
Management and Administration
- Performs duties willingly with initiative; shares necessary information with employees, volunteers and Attain Housing Board members.
- Develop and facilitate an active planning process, including as an active participant in the strategic planning process.
- Develop organization goals and objectives consistent with the mission and vision of Attain Housing.
- Develop and administer operational and personnel policies.
- Oversee all programs, services and activities to ensure that program objectives are attained.
- Build trust and credibility with the community to establish strategic relationships that benefit Attain Housing.
- Explore the expansion of programming for homeless families served by Attain Housing in East King County working with public and private partners to ensure that more families experience a helping hand out of homelessness towards stable, secure futures.
- Continue the process of the management and upkeep of all units owned and supported by Attain Housing, ensuring safe, respectful homes for all clients.
- Embrace and advocate diversity in the areas of personnel, volunteers and the Board of Directors.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with government funders, private funders and donors, as well as collaborative agencies to assure effective partnerships exist.
- Ensure compliance with funding sources and regulatory requirements.
- Exhibit transparency in all financial negotiations and transactions. Insist on transparency for all actions of the accounting department.
- Assist the Board Treasurer in understanding and conveying all accounting policies to the Finance Committee and full board.
- Create a realistic annual budget that accurately reflects anticipated revenue and assist each department with accurate current and projected expenditures to present to the Finance Committee, who will recommend budget to the full Board for approval.
- Assist in the selection of the auditor and with information furnished annually to the auditor to complete the audit and the 990 (tax return). Work with the Finance Committee and any explanations needed by the Board in their approval of the audit and tax return.
- Provide for proper record-keeping and reporting.
- Review and ensure that monthly financial statements are presented to the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Experience in relationship building and networking with a wide variety of stakeholder groups.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic, business, political and cultural landscape of the Eastside.
- Be very comfortable asking donors for contributions. Demonstrate success in development and fundraising.
- Protect and preserve the credibility of Attain Housing to ensure appropriate income to meet the organization’s
- Understand and build fundraising streams to continue or increase the funding as the organization grows.
- Empower the committees in the planning and execution of the organization’s fundraising event.
- Manage and conduct fundraising activities that result in consistently achieving or exceeding goals.
- Ensure that fundraising will sustain the organization in future years.
- Help take our community outreach and support to the next level with strategic fundraising initiatives, including a focus on communications, major donors and stewardship of all supporters.
- Administer board-approved personnel policies.
- Ensure proper and legal hiring and termination procedures.
- Oversee all hiring and any disciplinary actions.
- Provide for adequate supervision and evaluation of all staff and volunteers.
- Treat employees, volunteers, guests and public in a polite, courteous, and respectful manner.
- Develop staff to prepare for success and advancement.
- Create a culture of empowerment for the staff, volunteers and guests.
- Assist the Board chair in making sure each member makes a meaningful gift to the organization.
- Help develop agendas and materials for Board meetings.
- Ensure board committees have realistic goals, necessary information and are properly staffed.
- Assist Board members to effectively raise funds in the community.
- Assist Board in identifying potential new members.
- Serve as the chief liaison to the community at large. Always acting with transparency and ethical behavior.
- Build excitement and passion for Attain Housing with Board members, donors and other key stakeholders.
- Make effective presentations to groups of varying sizes.
The Executive Director is directly responsible to the Board of Directors of Attain Housing and is evaluated at least annually. This role supports the strategic plan, overall goals, efforts and mission of the organization.