Hardware Design Engineer - Chameleon Technologies
Job #2559: Chameleon Technologies is searching for two Hardware Design Engineers for a contract role in Redmond, WA. The New Product Introduction (NPI) group is looking for a passionate and team-oriented engineer to join us in shaping the future of devices. You will be part of the Design for Manufacturing (DfM) group within the DfX team and focused on PCB's and FPC's design and manufacturing processes. Your end-to-end engagement will include design development, new design and process characterization, and manufacturing launch of next generation hardware. You will get to collaborate cross-functionally with engineering disciplines across the company.
- Integral technical engagement and concurrent engineering collaboration with internal product development groups such as Surface, Surface Hub, Xbox, HoloLens and Next Generation product lines.
- Early partnership with product development teams to identify design elements that are new, unique, or difficult and enable their realization through all engineering verification and validation cycles.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external vendors to identify, characterize and deliver manufacturing processes that enable the commercialization of unique and emerging technologies in new product categories.
- Directing and setting priorities for teams focused on creating new ways to solve complex design and manufacturing challenges, cost reduction and yield improvement efforts, inventing and commercializing new technologies and methods.
- Perform technical analyses, recommend, prepare and execute designs-of-experiments, and characterize process and design interactions.
- Stay current and versed in emerging technologies, materials, methods and manufacturing processes.
- Lead efforts within DfX and the hardware organization to define and evolve new internal methods, as well as generate and evangelize best practices guidelines to enable efficiencies in future hardware development and launch activities.
- Drive DFM, activities in the hardware product development schedules to meet or exceed product targets (ex. Quality, reliability, safety, cost).
- Proactively identify manufacturing processes and design methods which can be improved and then deliver best in-class solutions.
- 10-20% travel to domestic and overseas vendor and factory sites is required.
- Bachelor / Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Material Science Engineering.
- 8+ years as either a Design for Manufacturing (DfM) or hardware engineer in product development for PCB and FPC design, or high-volume SMT / PCB manufacturing or process engineer.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and structured problem-solving approach; Experience leveraging manufacturing data to identify design and assembly issues and subsequently drive continuous quality
- Consistently demonstrating strong technical aptitude and experience with electro-mechanical design and related manufacturing process. Some examples include: Design for assembly / Manufacturing; FPCA (flexible print circuit assembly) and PCBA design & SMT manufacturing; EE and ME component and material selection.
- Concurrent engineering experience with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability in product and statistical process control, part characterization, structured problem solving, defect/failure analysis, DOE, statistical data analysis.
- Knowledge in 3D CAD systems like Pro-E/Creo, SolidWorks, Cadence Allegro, or Zuken is a plus.
- Design for manufacturing (DfM) experience in a high-volume environment preferred.
- Experience working on a team that is not centrally located.
TOP 3 SKILLS A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS:
- 8+ years as either a Design for Manufacturing (DfM) or hardware engineer in product development for PCB and FPC design, or high-volume SMT / PCB manufacturing or process engineer. PCB: print circuit board. SMT: surface mount technology
- Experience leveraging manufacturing data to identify design and assembly issues and subsequently drive continuous quality
- Experience is SMT manufacturing processes and materials